Home  Departments  Public Works  Stormwater

Spotlight Shelton April 2021: Stormwater 101 with Public Works (to view presentation slides click here)

The Storm and Surface Water Utility works on many levels to protect water quality and prevent flooding. This involves working closely with residents, businesses, and other government agencies to maintain a safe and healthy environment for people and wildlife.

Staff maintains miles of underground pipe, storm drains, and stormwater ponds that carry stormwater runoff from roads and rooftops to our streams, Oakland Bay, and Henderson Inlet. We monitor our waters, and initiate new ways to protect them through our education and outreach programs, technical assistance, and new regulations.

Stormwater starts as rain picks up pollutants from streets, sidewalks, and lawns as it runs off to pipes that quickly discharge into our streams and wetlands. Pollutants can harm animals and people, while too much water at once can cause streams to overflow and erode their banks sending muddy polluted water downstream.

Public information and outreach
We have partnered with the Mason Conservation District (MCD) to provide public information and outreach programs to our community related to stormwater. Programs include planting urban trees, installing rain gardens, and providing general assistance to property owners on how to improve their homes while protecting our watersheds.

MCD Program Information        
Urban Tree Program Flyer

INFORMation about stormwater
Stormwater Rate & Fee Update Brochure (City of Shelton) (PDF)
Spotlight Shelton Stormwater 101 Presentation (PDF)
Car Washing Facts (PDF)
"Stormwater management: the basics" (Clark County) (Video)
"Stormwater runoff carries toxins, raw sewage into waterways" (CBS This Morning) (Video)

stormwater phase ii permit documents
Shelton 2022 Stormwater Management Plan
Annual Report

Need to talk to someone ASAP? In the event of an emergency during business hours, please call Public Works directly at (360) 426-6442 to report the incident. After hours, please call MACECOM at (360) 426-4441. Examples of Public Works incidents worth reporting include (but aren’t limited to): serious water leaks, fallen trees in a roadway, sewage backing up into a household or business, water across a roadway or flooding buildings, hazardous material spills on a roadway, or dangerous street conditions (sinkholes, potholes, etc.).