News Detail

City Awarded $3.6 Million in Grant Funding

Home News List City Awarded $3.6 Million in Grant Funding

TIB
Shelton, WA — On Friday, November 17th, the Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) announced the results of the Urban Arterial and Arterial Preservation grant programs. The City of Shelton was awarded two separate allocations: $270,885 for the Turner Avenue revitalization project and another $3.33 million for the Downtown Connector Project. The Public Works department submitted the applications in early August.

The estimated $4.76 million dollar Downtown Connector Project will include a complete revitalization of the West Alder Street/Olympic Highway North corridor – North 1st Street to C Street – including new asphalt streets, illumination, sidewalks, streetscape, ADA ramps, stormwater upgrades, and intersection improvements. The proposed design improvements are the result of several discussions with the Downtown Visioning Committee, Historic Preservation Board, and community feedback received during the October public design presentation meeting. The $3.33 million dollar grant covers 70% of the cost of this project. The remaining 30% will come from city Stormwater Utility, Transportation Benefit District, and Transportation Impact Fee funds, as well as local partnerships with Mason County PUD 3, Mason Transit Authority, and Mason Conservation District. 

The Turner Avenue revitalization project will include a new asphalt street and stormwater improvements from South 7st Street to the top of the hill at South 16th Street. The $270,885 grant covers 90% of the total project cost. The remaining 10% will be funded with Transportation Benefit District, Stormwater Utility, and Transportation Impact Fee funds.

City Manager Ryan Wheaton commented on the awards, “The Public Works Engineering Team has worked very hard over the last year to restore the City of Shelton’s reputation within the project funding community. These grants are a direct result of their determination to improve Shelton.”

The Turner Avenue revitalization project is scheduled to commence sometime in March of 2018; followed by the Downtown Connector Project sometime in June of 2018.

Design information on the Downtown Connector Project is linked HERE.